Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Babies: Screaming or Finding their Voice?

Lately Kaitlin has been making alot of new noises. Very Cute I must say, to watch and listen to her find her voice. My only problem is the last two days she has started almost screaming, more squealing than screaming but still...Here is my problem-I hate hearing kids scream! Yesterday we were in Wal-mart and there was a little boy that all he did was scream! I wanted to walk over to his mother and ask her to spank him and tell him to stop. I am not sure how far to let Kaitlin's squealing/screaming go? I want her to find her voice but I also don't want her to use screaming as a form of communication. I want her to know that there are better ways to communicate and figure out problems rather than just go straight to getting upset. Also I want her to know that screaming just to make noise is not acceptable. These are my thoughts if anyone has any thoughts on this please feel free to leave a comment :)

3 comments:

Rebecca Onley said...

Abigail and Andrew both did that at her age. Part of it is she has learned she has a voice and is learning how to use. it. Another thing maybe her teeth are hurting her and that's how she can tell you. For my two I would just thump there mouth a little to let them relize it was not okay. Now that did take many times/days of doing this but Abigail has learned. I am still working on Andrew some. But if you need to it won't hurt her to thump her little mouth or give her a little swat. Just be sure to do it while she is screaming and not wait till daddy gets home cause she won't know what she is in trouble for. Good Luck sweetie! I love and and call me if you need to. Sometimes mommys need to put babies in their crib and take a break. Give someone a call, read a good book, bible and prayer, a little scrap booking. Be sure you are getting some time for you. (Its okay if they cry in bed at least you know they are safe) I do this on ocasions expecially days the kids are off school just so I can have a few mins. Feel free to call me if you need to. I really love having adult conversations not just that of a two year old and a one year old.

Lyssa said...

I, too, hate screaming kids. However, you will know the difference between them screaming for attention and for exploration. Just like you can tell jibber jabber from whining. You could even go back and forth with her squealing then start making other sounds (growling... haha) and teach her other sounds so it's not always an annoying sound. Then again, Pappy will be there tonight and she'll probably learn to growl soon enough! =) I hope I've helped a little. Love ya!

TrulyBlessed said...

hahaha... well that is too funny. Julius is starting to scream and make weird noises too. I think it is because of the kids he is around, but just tell her over and over why she shouldn't do that. I think it will eventually stop as she gets older. As long as you are not like the mom who sits there and allows it... she should be fine. =)