Friday, May 14, 2010
Our Baby Story
We have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of our baby and started talking to our Doctor about when to deliver (I refused to go over my due date..). We were blessed to get a midwife who is also a grief counselor for people like David and I who have lost a child. So she let us know that whatever we decided that she would back us up. Things have changed in our life lately and so to be able to take care of other problems in our life we chose to induce on Tuesday night. When I had my appointment on Monday I hadn't dialated at all and was only 50% effaced. So we decided to go ahead and induce. When we went into the hospital Tuesday night (9:00) I was dialated to a 2 and about 60% effaced!!! So we got checked in and they started the medicine around 10p.m. We were doing a pill before going to Pitocin. The nurse said that I would get 3 doses before we did Pitocin but by pill 2 I was dialating enough that we never had to do the Pitocin! I started to feel the contractions and got to up to use the bathroom when my water broke at 2:47a.m. With Keagen they had to break my water so this was a whole new experience!! They checked me again at 3:00 and I was dialated to a 3 with 85% effaced. After that I was able to get into the tub which helped for a little bit-it helped to relax the rest of my muscles!! At 4:50 I asked for an epidural-I really wanted to go without but it got to be way too much. At 5:00 I was dialated to a 5 and fully effaced. They finally got the epidural in and medicine administered by 5:15 and by 5:30 I was dialated to a 7 and they tried to give me more medicine. By 6:00 I was a 10 and the epidural was only dulling the pain. They called for the doctor (Helen my midwife wasn't suppose to be on call until noon) =( but the Dr. on call was funny and very supportive. I hadn't felt the need to push until he walked in the door. as soon as he walked in I was ready and only had to push through 4 contractions. Our beautiful baby girl was born at 6:30a.m. weighing in at 8lbs and 3.4oz. She is 19.25 inches long and has beautiful dark hair (not alot but at least she has hair!!) =) It was a great experience and I am so grateful for all the support that we recieved not only from the doctor but the nurses as well. By the way...Dr. Ortiz went into the staff meeting later with Kaitlin's information written on his hand bragging to Helen what he got to do! =) She groaned to say the least-she really wanted to deliver Kaitlin =) We got to bring our baby girl home on Thursday and have fallen in love with her even more-if that is even possible! We are so grateful for what God has given us and all the people who have prayed for us and our baby girl.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i am SOOOO happy your birthing experience was so wonderful. I bet Kaitlin is very happy. I miss your family so much and wish I could be there to see her. Hopefully it will be soon! I love you Katarina!!! Have a blessed time with her. It FLIES by!!!
Post a Comment